Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rising Cost of Food

I have lived in my town since 1992.  An Aldi grocery store was built just across the street from us and I remember when canned veggies were .25 each.  After that, the price went up .04 to .29 a can.

Back in the fall of last year, I woke up early one Saturday morning and my Yahoo homepage was screaming about food shortages.  My husband and I were working and living temporarily out of state and my Aldi grocery was 5-6 hours away.  We were living in a camper with no means of extra storage, so I demanded to take a trip home to visit family and Aldi.

Back home, we went to Aldi and loaded the back of my truck with canned veggies.  Carrots, corn, peas, green beans, and mixed veggies, not to mention some canned pinto beans.  It was a little over $300, but my mind was put to ease knowing we had this stockpile of canned foods.  All purchased at Aldi for low price of .39 a can and safely stored in my home.  I left my food storage and my home and traveled back to work.

Fast forward to June 2009, when I was laid off from work, my husband having been laid off the month before.  We came back home and begin happily living off our food storage.  Today, we noted that we had run out of corn and we wanted to restock a flat or two of some other veggies, so we loaded up and headed to our trusty cheap Aldi grocery.




To my dismay, Aldi has raised the price of their basic canned veggies to .49 a can.  No longer will we be able to get cheap veggies!  Now that I was noticing, I checked at Sav-A-Lot and there it was-veggies .49 a can.  At Wal-Mart (the low price leader you know) the cheapest was .88 a can.  They did have the name brand on sale for .50 a can.  Certainly not the low price leader in all things!  Don't be fooled!

Anyway, the point in all this rambling is that it is past time to get prepared.  Food prices are beginning to soar.  Have you googled photos of famine lately.  It is horrifying!  Get prepared now!  Buy a flat of veggies extra each time you go to the store.  Pick up an extra peanut butter.  Don't wait any longer.

My prayers are with you and our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment