Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 911


September 11, 2001 is a day that will forever live in my memory. As the song echoes in my mind asking the question “Have you forgotten, how it felt that day?” I say a resounding "No!"  I will never forget.

Surreal images flicker in my mind of the first plane that hit the tower. And then, when the second plane hit the second tower, I awoke from the naive place I had always lived to the truth of the world we live in.  I was at home sick that day.  So, I saw the images live on TV.  Shocked, I watched as a woman from another country danced, shouted and praised those cowardly, evil deeds and subsequently my perception of the world and the people in it, was forever changed. I realized I did not live in a world that was safe and secure, but one that held dark secrets. Before that time, I had no idea how hated I was because I was an American. And it would take years before I realized the true implications.

Our President declared "War on Terrorism".  A few short years later, he declared war on Iraq. My first thoughts had been to just leave Iraq alone. We should take care of things at home. I still believe things need addressed at home. But there is an indelible image engraved in my mind as I watched footage of a war-torn Iraq. A man running down the debris littered street suddenly turned to the camera and waved. In broken English he gleefully shouted “Thank you Mr. Bush.” And then turned and ran away. Again, I was awakened…if but just a little more.

I won’t pretend that I am the most politically correct or most politically minded person on the planet, probably the farthest from it. However, I realized that day that our brothers and sisters in this world who are citizens of Iraq and other countries needed a hero too. Someone to save them from the tyranny and evil that gripped their world. How lucky we are to call America home. We have so many freedoms; even the freedom to complain about and ridicule our leaders without fear of any real repercussions.

Our world has drastically changed since that time.  Gas prices have more than trippled.  Food prices are so high, some are going without food.  More and more people are losing their homes and becoming "homeless".  We have greater need to prepare today than we have ever.  I feel an urgency to prepare for life's storms now!  But in a calm and orderly manner. 

So, let's honor our lost, our heroes and our Country.  God Bless America! 

If you get the chance to do so, please enter your comments below.  Share with me your thoughts on 911 and our lives since then.

1 comment:

  1. I was at home sick with you that day. How lucky were we? To think, I could have been stuck in my 5th grade class frightened and freaking out by myself along with 20 some other 10 year olds. So naive thinking that our mommies and daddies where there, even though new york was so far away. Our minds at that age are so strange, miles seem like feet and when the worst strikes we fear for our parents, even though they are in no danger whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete